Eric Parry Architects was appointed to design a new music building incorporating performance, study and teaching spaces. Completed at the end of 2005, the new Music School at Bedford School was built on the site of an existing music school located to the south of the listed school chapel erected by J F Bodley in 1908.The Music School complex consists of the main recital hall with rehearsal rooms connected to the teaching wing by a glazed street. The recital hall is designed to seat up to 140 and faces the playing fields with an elevation of alternating glass and stainless steel panels.
The hall is flexibly designed to accommodate the daily changing uses of the Music School. Since communication between performers and the audience is paramount, the acoustics of the recital hall is appropriately reverberant, responsive, warm and enveloping, giving the audience a sense of the spatial relationship between members of the ensemble. Acoustic insulation from adjacent teaching spaces is also of a high standard.
Click any image to view slideshow.